I'm Irfan, a poet aiming to be a polymath in the arts, science, and technology with experience in accessibility, Artificial Intelligence, consciousness, design, development, philosophy, poetry, and UX.
Neuroscience, cognitive psychology, and creativity have always been my passions, but I strive to be passionate in everything I do. More generally, I am passionate about humanity and technology and what we can do to advance each with the other. My focus is Artificial Intelligence & User Experience, but I strive to be aware of much of science and technology. None of us are experts in everything, so it is crucial for us of all disciplines to work together to solve past, present, and future problems. That's true innovation and we owe it to human-kind as humans.
I aim being poetic in all things I do. I pour my heart and soul into my work and pursue creative thinking and results with compassion for humanity in mind. I also aim to be T-shaped, aware of areas of the arts, science, and technology; but, an expert in specific subjects therein.
My current focus is on emotions, consciousness, experience design (UX), and accessibility (a11y).
- Researching the evolutionary and practical purpose of emotions and empathy and how they can be implemented in everything we do.
- Taking this understanding of emotions and applying that to approaching intelligence from a different perspective.
- Striving to create web innovations while designing and developing for people of all abilities.
- Learning how to fuse my research, my education, and my experience into and practicing what I call Human Experience design and development.
If you'd like to see some of my work please check my portfolio.
All of the work is © Irfan Mir unless otherwise noted.
You may have reached here by googling me or as a link from a social account. In that case, we may know each other on a casual/an informal basis. Informal interests of mine include poetry, music, technology, politics, fashion, jewelry, and I occassionally watch the NBA and NFL.
On my reading-list:
- Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness by Peter Godfrey-Smith
- Deep Learning by Ian Goodfellow, Yoshua Bengio, and Aaron Courville.
- Self Comes to Mind by Antonio Damasio
My go to snacks/foods are:
- Yogurt (plain & non-fat, sometimes with honey or fruit)
- Fresh Mozarella
- Mozarella Pepper Jack or Colby Jack Pepper Jack
- Orange, yellow, or red bell peppers
Go to music genres are rap, rock, and electronic/dance.
Monet and Van Gogh are my favorite painters. I've also really loved Mayan artwork and (all) calligraphy.
Some of my favorite tv shows include:
- Breaking Bad
- Marco Polo
- Arrested Development
- Last Week Tonight
- The Daily Show
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
Current shows I am watching (if not mentioned above and running):
- The Good Place (renewed for a 2nd season!!)
- Life in Pieces
- Superior Doughnuts (renewed for a 2nd season!!)
Other media I enjoy are recorded music, plays, musicals, and stand-up comedy.
I'll leave you with some quotes:
Man is free at the instant he wants to be
Opinions have caused more ills than the plague or earthquakes on this little globe of ours
Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.
The machine that can pass the Turing test won't.
Gud se mitha ishq, ishq
Imli se khatta ishq, ishq
Hira na panna; ishq, ishq
Bas ek hi tamanna: ishq, ishq
Sweeter than sugar, love
More bitter than tamarind— love
Neither diamonds nor gold; just love
Only one desire: love.
-Taal (Bollywood movie, 1999)
What is love, 'tis not hereafter,
Present mirth, hath present laughter:
What's to come is still unsure...
Youth's a stuff will not endure.
-Shakespeare (Twelfth Night)
Some personal ones:
Words cannot describe what is so fine!
Beauty uncanny how can one define?
-Sonnet 4, Irfan.
Hope and faith will give you the strength you need
Onward! To each peak, always to the top!
Plant and till as you watch to tree from seed
Only backwards will make you stop
Ay, there is no failure until you drown
Ay, there is no drowning until you frown
-Sonnet 19, Irfan.
The ship of life sinks in the sea of failure, twisting in the currents of negativity, but the lifeboat of recovery reaches the greatest shores of success
Vidi Sensi Vici // I came, I felt, I conquered